Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Questions to Answers

What inspires you?
Anything and everything around me. The kind of day I have could inspire me, the emotion that I'm feeling in a particular moment, a particular experience I'm having, other artists, images I see.

What is sacred to me?
Life, memories, and experiences that one would go through in a life-time; whether they are positive or negative. Your experiences shape who you are and who you become.

What is music?
Various sounds put together rhythmically to create a harmony.

What is an image?
A visual that is produced mentally.
Or I like to say "Visual Memories"

What is New Media?
Design that is produced through audio, video, and animation.

Who are you?
This is a question that I've struggled with for many years, and still struggle with a times. Most of my work up until now have been about finding my voice and how society has shaped me as an artist and a woman. Just until recently, I've finally crawled out from this tiny little whole from where I didn't create any artwork, because I had to learn how let go of a lot of anger. I did this by tiring up most of my undergraduate work, which was very liberating. I can now say that I've moved on in my work and feel that I making more meaningful work now and I'm able to combined my fine art and new media skills. I've been given a 2nd chance in learning and feel that I have become a better and stronger artist for years to come. As for the my torn work, I kept it in a big bag and will be used in a project in the near future.

Why did you choose to go into new media?
After crawling out of that whole, I knew that it was time to go back to school, because I needed to build upon my fine art skills. My original degree at Herron was Visual Communications, but realized that I didn't like their program, so I went into Photography, which I discovered as a way for me to communicate. But I still had the desire to design, so after graduating 3 years ago, I decided to finish my degree in graphic design, but didn't want to go to Herron again. That's when I discovered the New Media program last year and loving it.

How has this class impacted you and your approach to new media? Have you seen any changes in your approach to projects or how you think about new media?
This class started my creative juices flowing and I now have 3 big projects in mind, which one of them is my individual project and the other 2 are still in their early stages of creation. I really enjoy this class and it too brings back memories of Herron. Many of my classes at Herron where taught in this manner and I find it very freeing and easily to create. This class is very rejuvenating.

No comments: