Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Indiana State University's Virtual Tour

Working as a web designer for the Communications and Marketing department at ISU has been a huge adjustment for me, but also a really great opportunity as well. For any project I design, I have to think about how my design fits within the university's branding standards, which I didn't have to think about before when I was designing for myself or a school project. So when I was given the task of designing the virtual tour I had to think, "Okay, how can I make this fit within our template, but still look a little different than our website"? After doing a lot of research, I knew that I had a little more freedom to design the tour. I figured for my mock up, I would throw everything on the table to show to the directors and than if needed I could scale back.

I knew that I wanted to use photographs of the campus as our map instead of a 3-D campus map. I wanted to illustrate the beauty of our campus as well as showcasing our campus photographers' work. I was in luck, because our campus photography department had taken many ariel photographs of the campus, it was just a matter of finding one that had most of the buildings. So after finding one, I began to build my design in Flash. It took me about a good solid month and a half to come up with a functioning mock up to show the directors. After presenting, I really didn't have to change too much of the design. The project took me about 6 months to complete 10 buildings. We are hoping to be finished with the project in about a year or two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One can find plenty of funny pictures and videos by a single click on any search engine like Yahoo or Google.
But my favorite is the link that tells you about bad dates stories, of
course they are the funniest. Make your Myspace profile look cool and leave
your friends Funny Myspace Comments and Glitter
Graphics.

My homepage :: christmas funny pictures and cartoons